According to the Pet Poison Helpline,<br>These Household Items are The Most Toxic to Your Dog

Brittany Randolph
March
21
,
2019

child hand holding dog head

Now is the perfect time to take stock of everything in your home that may be toxic to your pup and make sure those items are out of reach!

Why now? Well, not that you need a reason to keep your fur-baby away from toxins, but now is as good a time as any to organize your hazardous items, because this week is National Poison Prevention week, and March is Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month.

If you aren't sure what things in your home might be toxic to your pup, keep reading ...

Learn what items in your home are the most toxic to your dog

These common household items are potentially poisonous to dogs. If you have any of these items in your home that are within your pup’s reach, move them to an upper or locked storage space so he or she can’t get into them.

Human Medications

According to the Pet Poison Prevention Helpline, 43% of calls are for dogs that ate over-the-counter or prescription medications. Antidepressants, Ibuprofen, prescription ADD medications, and cold, cough and allergy medications are some examples.

Human Foods

dog sitting in front of toxic foods

16% of calls to the Pet Poison Prevention Helpline are for foods that were meant only for human consumption but proved poisonous to dogs. Chocolate and Xylitol are the most well-known poisonous human foods, but foods that are often overlooked, such as raisins and grapes, can often cause kidney failure.

Insect Bait Stations and Rat/Mouse Poison

These items account for 6.5% and 7.5% of calls to the helpline, respectively. Not only can bait stations cause bowel obstructions but the active ingredients in products like these can cause uncontrolled bleeding and brain swelling in dogs.

Human Dietary Supplements and Vitamins

Human dietary supplements and vitamins account for 5.5% of calls to the Pet Poison Control Helpline. Your dog will likely be okay if he or she ingests small amounts of Vitamins C, K and E, but Iron and Vitamin D can cause significant problems for your pup.

If your dog eats something toxic, the effects may not be immediate

veterinarian explaining treatment for dog

The effects your dog experiences after ingesting something poisonous may take days or weeks to materialize, or become noticeable, since she can’t talk to you. If your dog eats something poisonous and you don't notice a negative reaction right away, she still may not be clear of the toxin. In this case, contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline for immediate help and advice.

Related Resources

Dog Food Recall Round-Up for February 2019
Dog Food Recall Round-Up for January 2019
4 Dog Safety Strategies for the Holidays 

    Related Posts

    March
    15
    ,
    2024

    Safeguarding Your Furry Friends: Preventing Pet Poisoning

    Read More
    February
    11
    ,
    2024

    The Power of Spirulina: A Nutritional Marvel for Your Dog

    Read More
    February
    7
    ,
    2024

    Discovering Arrowroot: A Nutritional Gem for Your Dog’s Wellness

    Read More

    Follow us @BowWowLabs

    Convenient Shipping

    Your package will be on its way within 2-3 business days of order placement. Timing of arrival depends on the delivery option chosen at time of checkout; orders placed on/around holidays may result in longer shipping times.

    Great Customer Service

    We pride ourselves on our unwavering commitment to great customer service. If you have a question, need a product recommendation or have an issue with your order–we are here to help!

    100% Satisfaction Guarantee

    If for any reason you (or your pet) are not 100% satisfied with any Bow Wow Labs product, simply click HERE to share your feedback and give us the opportunity to make it right with our no-hassle, free replacement or full refund promise.

    Appeared In

    Copyright © 2024 Bow Wow Labs.
    Created using