Bow Wow Lab's Top 6 Dog Choking Hazards to Avoid
Since we know that dogs can get into things that can be hazardous - we’re here to share our list of things to be extra careful with as a dog owner.
Drool-worthy as they might be, cooked bones are not safe for your dog to chew. Cooked bones are depleted of all nutrients and moisture, are more brittle, can splinter, and have the potential for intestinal obstruction or perforation. No matter how much they beg, don’t give in! Give them a bully stick instead (with a Bully Buddy, of course)!
Although rawhide chews come in lots of fun shapes and sizes, your dog can chew off and swallow large pieces, leading to a potential choking hazard or intestinal obstruction. What’s even worse is how rawhide is created: rawhides are a by-product of the leather industry and are soaked and treated in chemicals like bleach and other toxic chemicals.
Dogs love to fetch them, carry them around, and chew on them. But sticks can pose dangers to your dog if they splinter and get stuck in their mouth, or scrape their insides if swallowed. Sticks can also pose a choking hazard or intestinal blockage. Therefore, play fetch all you want but don’t allow your dog to chew on or devour the stick at the end of the game.
Most dog toys have been tested for dog use; however, never give your dog a toy with small, easily breakable parts, buttons, eyes, or other inhalable or swallowable pieces. Always supervise your dog with toys and select toys that are pooch-proof. No toy is indestructible. Therefore, if you have an aggressive chewer, choose a safer alternative to satisfy their natural instincts.
Whether they’re rubber, plastic, tennis or fabric, balls are all potential choking hazards. Why? Because the more your dog chews them, the greater the likelihood that the ball breaks or compresses, and gets stuck in their mouth. You might be thinking - this never happens. Well, sadly it does, all the time. Ask Oprah. This doesn’t mean dogs shouldn’t play with balls - just make sure the ball is the right size for your dog and always keep your eye on them!
Bully sticks are a healthy treat for your dog that satisfies their urge to chew, cleans their teeth, delivers nutrients and keeps them occupied. But the tail end of a bully stick -- when your dog can no longer use his paws to hold it -- becomes a choking hazard and has the potential to be an intestinal obstruction. The safest way to deliver bully sticks—a dog’s favorite long-term chew—is to use a Bully Buddy safety device. The Bully Buddy securely holds a bully stick, allowing them to enjoy all the benefits of long-term chewing, without the hazard of swallowing that last end.
Always supervise your dog with toys or treats.